By: Olivia Walters
Care to try a little hemp bubbly? Next time it’s your turn to organize cocktail night, try adding CBD seltzer to the drink menu.
These drink recipes from Shimmerwood Beverages bring low-key vibes to your next outdoor hangout and keep everyone feeling refreshingly mellow.
What is CBD seltzer and what does it do?
CBD seltzer is a simple combination of plain water, carbon dioxide (the bubbly component), and cannabidiol oil, or CBD.
This lovely concoction not only wets your whistle, but may help you relax, unwind, and chill out thanks to the potentially therapeutic benefits of hemp CBD.
Beverages infused with CBD are sold as sparkling water, soda, or seltzer. Spiked with fruit extract and cocktail bitters from various botanical ingredients, drinking CBD gives you the chance to show off your mixologist skills.
With or without alcohol, CBD seltzer brings a new kind of mindfulness to happy hour. Hemp extract is an odorless oil that contains potentially healing compounds.
You may want to try CBD seltzer on its own (or mixed with juices) to distinguish the CBD effects from alcohol.
All CBD beverages on the market are not necessarily marketed or formulated with mixology in mind, many beverages actually mask the taste of the hemp, whereas Shimmerwood is formulated so people can taste the hemp. This is partially why they use full-spectrum CBD.
When it comes to the flavors of all Shimmerwood seltzers, they are meant to be cannabis forward.
When drinking a cocktail, many people want to taste at least a tiny bit of the alcohol as well as the mixers. That’s why a Shimmer Seltzer will have a tinge of hemp/CBD flavor.
With that in mind, the flavor combinations are endless and leave plenty of room for creativity.
Plus, CBD is non-psychoactive, so no need to worry about getting “high.” You may feel a gentle sense of calm settle over you as you sip on CBD seltzer.
Benefits of drinking CBD seltzer
Hemp elevates happy hour and bumps you to hostess with the mostest status. The potential health benefits of CBD are far-reaching, but generally could help with:
- Pain relief: After an intense workout, how about treating yourself to a low-calorie CBD seltzer? CBD has known anti-inflammatory properties and may soothe achy, overworked muscles. For ladies, a cool and crisp CBD seltzer quenches your thirst and might take the edge off of PMS symptoms.
- Reduces anxiety: Unlike THC, which sometimes increases paranoia and anxiety, CBD can have a soothing effect on the mind and body, minus the “stoney” sensation. As a seltzer, you can happily sip on CBD without drawing attention to yourself in public or around disapproving friends or family.
- Promotes better sleep: CBD seltzer is a healthier nightcap compared to high-calorie cocktails with tons of added sugar. Plus, CBD could help you snooze better if you need an extra nudge to the pillow. If you’re drinking CBD seltzer specifically for sleep, try it clean and straight without alcohol to skip the morning hangover.
CBD seltzer drink recipes
Paired with juice or liquor, you can easily turn CBD seltzer into a swanky cocktail or a non-alcoholic mocktail.
Here are 10 easy CBD recipes inspired with Shimmer Seltzer to make at home for one or bring to the next chill sesh with friends:
Razz Lime-ade Refresher
Sip your way into summertime with this sweet and sour refresher. Lemonade, cucumber, rosemary, and Razz Lime Shimmer Seltzer give this drink a lip-smacking twist with tart undertones. Feel free to go wild and add raspberries to your liking.
- Muddle cucumber and raspberries and drop mixture into the bottom of a frosty glass.
- Fill with crushed ice and ⅓ lemonade (homemade is best). Optional: add 1 shot of gin.
- Top with Razz Lime Shimmer Seltzer, then slowly stir.
- Serve with a sprig of rosemary and a lime rind.
Ginger Orange Tropical Punch
This Malibu Sunset-inspired cocktail is brimming with beach vibes. Rum, pineapple juice, grenadine, and Ginger Orange Shimmer Seltzer make this tropical punch a deadly combination.
The Caribbean flavors are a true crowd-pleaser, so you might as well make a pitcher of this sweet goodness to keep everyone happy.
- Pour pineapple juice over large ice cubes, filling to about ⅓ of pitcher.
- Optional: add 1-3 shots of coconut rum.
- Slowly drip grenadine sideways into the pitcher to achieve color separation.
- Top with Ginger Orange Shimmer Seltzer.
- Garnish with cherries or pineapple chunks.
Just Hemp Gin & Tonic
Gin and tonic is a low-calorie spirit to enjoy when you’re watching your waistline. Shimmerwood’s Just Hemp adds a healthful layer to this simple yet classy cocktail.
- Chill an 8 ball glass in the fridge.
- Fill with ice, then add 1 shot of ice-cold gin (preferably Bombay Sapphire).
- Top with Just Hemp Shimmer Seltzer.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.
Spicy Ginger Orange Mule
Combined with zingy ginger ale and lime juice, Shimmerwood’s Ginger Orange CBD seltzer adds a new take to the classic Moscow Mule.
Try it with vodka to stick to traditions or go for tequila if you prefer the smokiness of mezcal.
- Chill glass in the freezer beforehand to achieve tantalizing sweat beads.
- Fill glass with crushed ice.
- Optional: pour 1 shot of vodka/tequila over ice with Ginger Orange Shimmer Seltzer.
- Stir, then garnish with mint or fresh ginger, making sure to press the leaves along the rim of glass to enhance flavor.
Snazzy Razz Lime Smash
Shimmerwood’s Razz Lime CBD seltzer gives this cocktail a powerful, fruity punch. With muddled herbs and mouth-puckering citrus, the seasonal flavors sparkle and shine.
- Gather herbs of choice: fresh sage, mint, or basil.
- Combine a few fresh raspberries with herbs and muddle until well-combined.
- Optional: add 1 tsp of sugar and 1 shot of vodka to the mixture.
- Pour over ice, then stir in Razz Lime Shimmer Seltzer.
- Cut with squeezed lime or lemon juice to taste.
Stay cool this summer with a watermelon cooler! It’s the perfect drink to sip poolside or on the beach!
- Muddle watermelon and mint at the bottom of a glass with 1tsp sugar and a pinch of salt
- Fill glass with Just Hemp Shimmer Seltzer
- Stir and enjoy
This spin on a classic Arnold Palmer will be sure to quench your thirst this spring and summer! Plus, it’s super simple to make.
- Muddle lemon at bottom of glass with 1tsp sugar
- Add 1 part of iced tea for every 1 part of Just Hemp Shimmer Seltzer
- Gently stir
Have you ever had a Rusty Nail? It’s a bit of an oldie but a goodie. This CBD version is the perfect drink to make at your at-home bar while entertaining guests.
- Pour 1 oz scotch and 1 oz drambuie and shake
- Add 1 large sphere or cube of ice into low ball glass
- Pour mix into glass and fill to top with Ginger Orange Shimmer Seltzer
- Garnish with maraschino cherry
Who doesn’t love a good spritzer on a nice day? Grab your favorite bottle of wine and make yourself a cocktail that is super easy to craft and drink.
Just Hemp Mojito
Summer won’t be the same without at least one or two mojitos in your life. Grab some fresh mint from the garden and whip up something tasty.
- Cut up and muddle one full lime with mint and 1 tbl sugar
- Add 1 oz of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. Optional: 1 oz white rum
- Fill with Just Hemp Shimmer Seltzer and stir gently
Does CBD seltzer work?
The short answer: yes, it does the trick! CBD seltzer is a delicious afternoon or evening treat to sip on when you’re stressed, overwhelmed, and parched.
You won’t feel “high” like you do with THC, but drinking CBD could make you feel less tense and anxious.
What will a CBD drink do to me?
Depending on how many you drink, you may experience amplified feelings of relaxation and happiness from CBD beverages.
Remember: CBD isn’t the same as THC. Many people expect the same effects when trying CBD for the first time. Although CBD is non-intoxicating, it could create an overall sense of bliss that may boost your mood.
At the very least, drinking CBD hits the spot when you’re especially thirsty on grueling, hot days.
Olivia Walters is a writer who focuses on cannabis culture and lifestyle.